Monday, November 22, 2004

if you only knew acetone

Acetone CDs have been staring at me from my desk at work for a while now, and today I decided to take the dive. After doing some research, I discovered a few surprises. Surprise #1 is that bassist/vocalist Richie Lee killed himself a few years ago. Surprise #2 is that they released an album on Vapor Records that I wasn't even aware of. (Vapor also released the latest Neil Young album, Are You Passionate?) Surprise #3 is that on this very day in 1997, November 22nd, is when I saw Acetone open up for Spiritualized at Bogart's in Cincinatti, OH. I don't remember if this was the first time that I saw Acetone, but I remember liking it- they had a warmth and glow that I couldn't really place at the time, and I also couldn't understand why they were opening for Spiritualized. Now, in hindsight, it makes a lot more sense. All I really remember is that the trio each had their own old living room style lamp on stage near them, giving the performance a comfy vibe that perfectly fits their music. Highly recommended for fans of Galaxie 500, Bedhead, Idaho, Velvet Underground, etc. They deserve much more than the tag of the other band on Vernon Yard other than Verve and Low.

Acetone - Louise
Acetone - 99

Buy lovely Acetone goodness

4 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Blogger guanoboy said...

ohhh...this is good...my co-worker sitting behind me perked up as well...

nice sound over-all, a bit luna-like (or galaxie 500).

gosh-all-mighty...you keep putting stuff on my list of things to buy...would you stop it already?

darren

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger guanoboy said...

I've got to amend that...throw in a bit of yo la tengo in there too...

darren

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger heath said...

luckily you can buy the entire Acetone discography at half.com for less than $30 it looks like!

ohhh yea definitely yo la tengo! good call.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger guanoboy said...

Heath-

In reference to your comment on my site, I would love to see a MARRS posting w/the sample sources...that would be super-cool!

Keep it coming!

darren

 

Post a Comment

<< Home