Friday, November 05, 2004

rockin funky watergate

I'm still a little in shock and awe over the election. And I am not sure if it was the election or the booze because of it, but I've developed a nasty funk of sickness. So what better to combat the oncoming winter funk than with the mildly political funk? This will not turn into a political blog, there are plenty of those. There are plenty of mp3 blogs, too. And I am still more of a music lover than a politics lover. So enjoy, and hopefully I will recuperate and build on this thing we have here...

The J.B.'s recorded under various billings in the early '70s, including the J.B.'s, Fred Wesley & the J.B.'s, Maceo & the Macks, the First Family, the Last Word, and others. This double CD gathers 30 of the prime tracks by all of the above configurations from the first half of the '70s, including all nine of their chart hits and quite a few rare singles and long versions. Often, James Brown himself chips in with incidental vocals (though this is mostly instrumental) and keyboards. The two-and-a-half-hour program can start to sound monotonous if taken all at once, but it's prime, often riveting funk, jammed with lockstep grooves that vary between basic R&B vamps and imaginative, almost jazzy improvisation.

The J.B.'s - Rockin' Funky Watergate
The J.B.'s - I'm Payin Taxes, What Am I Buyin'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home