Monday, April 25, 2005

online piracy funds terrorism

Everyblogger and their blogmother has been drooling all over Maya Arulpragasam and her fresh Sri Lankan/London music as M.I.A. for months now. Her debut album, Arular, has had its release moved more times than I've been able to keep up with, but it looks like it is finally out in stores for real this time.

XL Recordings is the label that ended up winning her over and is hosting some cool shit as promo for Arular. If you've heard her before you know her sound and if you've seen pictures of her you know she has very much her own fashion and style. One thing that is a big part of her album artwork is stencil graffiti art and XL has some stencils that you can download and cut out and tag around your own town if you dare (although I wish they would be a little cooler like the ones on the actual album and around her website).

The potentially awesome thing that XL is hosting though is the acapella tracks from three songs off the album. As well, they are hosting a remix page where you can upload your remixes and vote on others. No word yet on what any of these may or may not be used for but here is my favorite so far...

M.I.A. - Pull Up The Poor (Temposhark Remix)

2 Comments:

At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for that link - jesus, have you heard that paperclip remix of bucky done gun? very unsettling.

 
At 9:32 AM, Blogger heath said...

I hadnt heard the paperclip remix yet (although it does have a Telefon Tel Aviv beat) It appears there are some new ones from when I posted this. and I just saw the page listed on the new Beggars promo mailing so I imagine there will be a whole lot more soon!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home