Saturday, May 28, 2005

8:15 to nowhere

Surely some of you out there in blogland are thinking, damn is all you do write about obscure 80s music anymore? Are you just turning into Lost Bands of the New-Wave Era? (whose work I love, btw) Well, I assure you my tastes are still all over the map. And my partner's iMac just went kaboom, but he will be back soon confusing you with music that you never even knew was music, too. Its just lately I have been coming across lots of odd little 80s gems that I wanna share withya. Today is no different, I hope that's ok.

Vicious Pink's lone album was really a collection of singles and they only played one gig ever (1984 at the Ritz in NYC). However, they hold a special place in many synth pop fans' hearts. After providing back-up vocals on Soft Cell's smash 1981 LP, Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret, the UK based duo started releasing their own 12"s in 1982. Their combination of fluffy Euro-dance and spacey new wave failed to attract much attention until 1984's bubbly and stuttering single "Cccan't You See" was released. It wasn't a hit at first, but little by little, new wave-friendly DJs across the globe discovered it, many giving the B-side, "8:15 to Nowhere," an equal amount of dancefloor exposure. 1985's "Fetish" became another club hit, getting extra exposure on the HBO series Real Sex. Brian Moss continued working as a member of the alternative rock band Drug Free America until that band came to a stop in 1999. In 2000, he announced a new project, Mirazma, with former Drug Free America vocalist Hayley Windsor.

Vicious Pink - CCCan't You See
Vicious Pink - Fetish

4 Comments:

At 3:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great couple of songs by VP. Keep the new wave postings coming.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger guanoboy said...

man. you are killing me lately. I'd completely erased these guys from my brain.

thanks, I guess.

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger warisill said...

I've been spinning 80's music in Austin and CCCan't you see is definitely the best of the unremembered 80's tracks.

Do you know the month that it came out?

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger heath said...

warisill - according to the vicious pink website it dropped on our heads on July 9, 1984!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home