Friday, May 20, 2005

let's play domination

The disturbing noise/chaos level achieved by this angular London trio is indeed something marvelous. The astonishing high-pressure racket of Let's Play Domination's opening salvo ("Message for You People") may send you rushing to the turntable to see if your stylus is accidentally gouging a hole in the platter. Besides sturdily unsettling originals, the album - clearly a stiff-upper-lip cousin to Big Black, Birthday Party and other punishing pain-inflicters - includes a relatively straight rendition of L.L. Cool J's "I Can't Live Without My Radio" as well as deranged interpretations of Lipps, Inc.'s "Funkytown" and a U-Roy number. As Dobson layers on the scathing, slithery guitar and sings in a plain, serviceable voice, the rhythm section lurches and pounds in a tight phalanx. - Unsung @ Head Heritage

WDE's blip on the radar came via their first single, "Asbestos Lead Asbestos", which you can hear on Rough Trade Shops: Post Punk 01. Legend has it that Dobson used an old drawer handle wound with copper for a pickup on his battered guitar in order to get that one-of-a-kind, ear-stabbing tone. I ask that everyone else listen to this and ponder why anybody would ever need a Shellac album. - Jason Pettigrew (Alternative Press) on the Stypod

I dunno about all that, but there is a heaping helping of Big Black, Jesus & Mary Chain and Love and Rockets all piled into this here mess. Maybe this will be the next generation of music that gets mined for the retro charts? Could be worse.

World Domination Enterprises - Asbestos Lead Asbestos
World Domination Enterprises - Message for you People
World Domination Enterprises - I Can't Live Without my Radio (LL Cool J)
World Domination Enterprises - Funkytown (Lipps, Inc)

4 Comments:

At 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

interesting stuff. thanks!

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Spoilt Victorian Child said...

Great band,
I did a post on them in March posting the same tracks, freaky.
Damn good choices though.

SVC World Dom post

Simon
x

 
At 10:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!

I had this album on cassete only and that is lost, but now I am just dying to listen again... Would anyone up the whole thing, or let me know if you can buy it somewhere? Couldn't find it so far.

Thanks in advance.

 
At 11:34 AM, Blogger Connor Treacy said...

Any chance of getting the Funkytown link again, just for a day? I've been listening to it on the WDE myspace and really want a copy to bring with me! I can't find the album to buy in the UK either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home