Sunday, June 05, 2005

rappin from the oval office

From the silver screen to the governorship of California to the White House. It was on this day last year that our Gipper passed away. As rememberence of this I have a little treat for us. During the 80s, all sorts of parody rap albums appeared, tons of which are documented over at Werner's place.

There was Rap Master Ronnie by Reathel Bean & the Doonesbury Break Crew. In the music video, Reagan takes a limo into the projects and raps to them to drum up some minority support in the upcoming election. He had the presidential seal on his socks. Then then there was the President's Rap and Contra Rap by Rich Little. He had a mini-career aping Reagan, and on Contra extended his talents to add in Nixon and Oliver North as well.

Today's focus is on Ronnie's Rapp by Ron and the D.C. Crew. In 1986, it was decided the world needed more rap records by president Ronald Reagan, and Ron and the D.C. Crew were born. Of course, when he said, "Well, I do and say just what I want, and with Congress I always win. So you better let me rock and you better let me rap, or, in eighty-eight, I'm gonna run again." Well, you've just gotta let him rap, haven't you? "Met with Gorbachev in eighty-five, to talk about how everyone can stay alive. And though he seemed to be a guy with class, if he doesn't play ball we'll nuke his... country!" The hip-hop breakdown of "Hail To the Chief" at the song's climax is especially inspiring. This is the single edit, not the Kissinger Dub Version. You think I'm kidding?

Ron and the D.C. Crew - Ronnie's Rapp

4 Comments:

At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

disturbing, but nice:) thanks

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger L h a r l e s said...

I would just like to tell you that you have salvaged one sliver of my sanity by having posted this here. I have been searching for this song for what seems like forever. Now that I have verified it to be what I was looking for, I must seek out the 'short radio mix' I was familiar with!

I hereby declare you my hero. At least until I stop typing. :)

Take care...

 
At 11:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks. I to have been searching for this for just about forever.

Now I can play it for my wife who decided i was insane when she caught me singing the lines to myself...

 
At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YES! like all of you, I remember this from my childhood...and when i'm singing it people think i'm crazy. granted, I was too young to know it wasn't really the Pres, but hey...at least it has now been proven that the song was out there. Thank you so much! hehe

 

Post a Comment

<< Home