Monday, June 06, 2005

virgin-whore complex

Well I just received a package in the mail today, from a company in Texas, it's a book how to play electric guitar in only seven days. So I wrote this song to tell you that I think you should know that you'll be sorry when you see me at the Hollywood Bowl and you'll think you could have had me if you'd had the foresight not to say no. Oh, but can't you see now? Front page news? Tailored jeans and limousines and rave reviews? I hear it's lonely at the top, I may need a lover, Sometimes #1 bestsellers have the uglist covers. We might even make a roadie of your hooligan brother. Just wait til I'm discovered!

Its with these words that mid-90s indie-pop sensations the Virgin-Whore Complex begin their debut album, Stay Away from my Mother. The trio took their name from the pop-psychology truism that certain men need to see women as either all good or all bad, and they stick with this mordant humor for the length of the album. They were formed in '92 by Charlie Fulton, Spats Ransom, and ex-Dambuilder Deb Fox. Ransom's real name is Peter Getty, grandson of J. Paul Getty and one of the heirs to the Getty oil fortune; Getty is also the owner of Emperor Norton Records, the band's label. A less miserable Stephen Merritt, a more hyper Sebadoh, a more lo-fi Kinks, a more psychedelic Unrest? Buy their two CDs for less than $5 combined from Amazon!

the Virgin-Whore Complex - Discovered
the Virgin-Whore Complex - Four Alarm Fire In Lover's Lane
the Virgin-Whore Complex - Speakerphone

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home