Thursday, August 04, 2005

under my skin I am laughing

Its no surprise that Earwig ended up on shortlived 4AD subsidiary Guernica after their line-up and name change to Insides. Consisting of chanteuse Kirsty Yates, Sergei Tardo, and Dimitri Voulis, the trio only lasted for one album, 1992's Under My Skin I Am Laughing, which was released on La-Di-Da in America along with a handful of impossibly out-of-print 12"s and the Past compilation, which, believe it or not compiles their singles from the past.

Some reviewers liken Earwig's sound to 'if Stereolab had listened to early Factory Records (instead of kraut)'. Thats interesting, and Yates and Co certainly embraced modern technology much more than the Neu-worship of the Lab, but also had brittle drum programs bouncing off stark white walls and a much more stripped down sound. And in there you can also hear the tender birth of their full-on minimalist future, where on Insides' Clear Skin EP they channel Reich and Riley into a gorgeous 40 minute whirling electronic dervish.

Earwig - Safe in My Hands
Earwig - When You're Quiet

As an extra-added-bonus treat, a reader emailed me the only track off the early EPs that did not make it onto their singles compilation! Now you can hear the true evolution of the band. Enjoy...

Earwig - Blind Stupid and Desperate

8 Comments:

At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never could get into that Insides album, but I love the Clear Skin single. Whatever became of these folks?

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger heath said...

insides released another album in 2000 called Sweet Tip. I hear rumor there might be another LP percolating? I know that the guy might work at a studio in the UK.

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting these!
Insides were such a great, underappreciated band. I wish I'd bought Sweet Tip when I had a chance to —I wonder if it was any good?

 
At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

monocat say:

it got me at the time - sweet tip - because I wanted it to be good...

I do like it - but it's a little ... sweet.

I saw early Earwig live a couple of times & have an 'Art Fag' t shirt somewhere - I liked the noise & the unbridled vitriol in the lyrics

I have managed to find a tape with blind, desperate or stupid, from the hardly EP - which I couldn't fathom as to why it wasn't on 'Past' - so managed to MP3 that & feel satisfied


burble burble burble


ahem - I always perk up & waffle on when Earwig are mentioned

i'll shut up now

 
At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone have access to linear notes/lyrics for earwig's "underneath my skin I am laughing"? the snippets that I can make out are absolutely gripping... if someone would post them I'd owe them a round at the pub.

Insides' "Sweet Tip" is sadly a mediocre and forgettable effort. It is neither musically nor lyrically interesting--sll the strengths of Earwig/Insides seems sompletely absent. It's like a mid 90s Luscious Jackson took over.

 
At 10:29 PM, Blogger heath said...

I own the cd. come over and read the notes anytime!

 
At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seeing as how you're in Indiana (me thinks) and I'm in Toronto, I can only stay just to read the liner notes before I have to catch the next bus back.

If you could have a glass of Hawaiian Punch (from can only) ready for me as I read the notes I'd appreciate it.

 
At 12:12 AM, Blogger Hobbs von Wackamole said...

damn...its good to know there are more than 4 people out there who know earwig and insides. I've yet to find more than my best friend and the guy on ebay who sold me all the 12"s.
Insides were great too. Sweet tip was actually their happy album. Who knew they'd get happy. Though, I like the darkness of euphoria better, I pretty much love anything they touch. cheers to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home