Thursday, September 15, 2005

killer eyes

Being from Indiana, when I read the name Violet Indiana, I get a much different soundtrack in my mind than Robin Guthrie does, apparently. I really don't hear anything Indiana about them whatsoever, and I guess that's a good thing.

For the entirity of the 80s and early 90s Guthrie and his band mates reigned supreme over the ethereal music tag as the Cocteau Twins, nearly single-handedly defining the genre and helped put 4AD on the map. Echoed and blissed out guitar washes over underwater basslines, simple drum patterns and the glossolia of Liz Fraser.

The new band combines the previous guitar textures of Guthrie with the bluesy vocals of ex-Mono chanteuse Siobhan de Mare. Sounding a bit of Portishead and a bit like a dream from David Lynch. Bella Union, the label offshoot of the Twins, releases their albums overseas and Instinct released a couple in the states.

Violet Indiana - Sundance
Violet Indiana - Air Kissing
Violet Indiana - New Girl

1 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm also from Indiana and I still don't understand why (British) genius Roy Wood wrote a song called "Indiana Rainbow." The rainbows here are ok, not notworthy, but the song is spectacular. If Indiana is so inspirational, why can't I write a pop masterpiece?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home